Programming for Artificial Intelligence
By Ivan Bratko
Pearson / Addison Wesley
Distributed by Trans-Atlantic Publications
678 pages, Illustrated, 6 3/4 x 9 1/4"
$125.00 Paper Original
The third edition of this best-selling guide to Prolog and Artificial Intelligence has been updated to include key developments in the field while retaining its lucid approach to these topics. Divided into two parts, the first part of the book introduces the programming language Prolog, while the second part teaches Artificial Intelligence using Prolog as a tool for the implementation of AI techniques.
Prolog has its roots in logic, however the main aim of this book is to teach Prolog as a practical programming tool. This text therefore concentrates on the art of using the basic mechanisms of Prolog to solve interesting problems. The third edition has been fully revised and extended to provide an even greater range of applications, which further enhance its value as a self-contained guide to Prolog, AI or AI Programming for students and professional programmers alike.
I. THE PROLOG LANGUAGE
1. Introduction to Prolog
2. Syntax and Meaning of Prolog Programs
3. Lists, Operators, Arithmetic
4. Using Structures: Example Programs
5. Controlling Backtracking
6. Input and Output
7. More Built-In Predicates
8. Programming Style and Technique
9. Operations on Data Structures
10. Advanced Tree Representations
II. PROLOG IN ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE
11. Basic Problem -Solving Strategies
12. Best-First Heuristic Search
13. Problem Decomposition and AND/OR Graphs
14. Constraint Logic Programming
15. Knowledge Representation and Expert Systems
16. An Expert System Shell
18. Machine Learning
19. Inductive Logic Programming
20. Qualitative Reasoning
21. Language Processing With Grammar Rules
22. Game Playing
23. Meta Programming
- Combined approach to Prolog and AI allows flexibility for learning and teaching.
- Provides a thorough representation of AI, emphasising practical techniques and Prolog implementations.
- Prolog programs for use in projects and research are available for download on the World Wide Web.
Return to main page of Trans-Atlantic Publications