Mathematical Studies for the IB Diploma
Contains CD ROM
By Ric Pimental & Terry Wall
Distributed by Trans-Atlantic Publications
455 pages, Illustrated
$87.50 Paper Original
Mathematical Studies has been written specially for students following the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma. Each topic opens with the syllabus content, and exactly follows the syllabus order, covering the latest syllabus requirements in full. This is invaluable in helping teachers to plot a way through the course, and for students when the time comes for revision.
A unique feature of the book is the inclusion of step-by-step instructions on the use of the graphic display calculator. The text also makes reference to Autograph and Geogebra software. Each topic has clear explanations, worked examples, and plenty of practice exercises to reinforce learning. The Student Assessments at the end of each topic can be used as homework or to test learning. The CD-ROM contains powerpoints, spreadsheets, Geogebra files, step-by-step audio visual explanations of the harder concepts, and extra questions.
Students who are taking this course have a variety of backgrounds and widely differing levels of previous mathematical knowledge: the Presumed Knowledge Assessments identify areas of weakness so that teachers can address these before tackling each topic. Mathematics has a rich historical and multi-cultural background, and the book is littered with such references. There are ideas for project work in each topic: internal assessment of the project is a key part of assessment.
• Links to Theory of Knowledge offer opportunities for cross-curriculum study.
• Follows IB Diploma terminology and notation, with a full glossary included.
• The use of the Graphic Display Calculator is cleary taught in every topic.
• The accompanying CD-ROM provides essential revision as well as activities for extended study.
• The authors, Ric Pimentel and Terry Wall, are experienced teachers and examiners of Mathematics at this level.
- Each topic opens with the IB Mathematical Studies syllabus content, so students and teachers can see exactly how the latest requirements of the syllabus are covered.
- Clear and detailed explanations and worked examples, with particular emphasis on the use of the Graphic Display Calculator, are followed by plenty of practice questions and student assessments, ensuring thorough exam preparation.
- The accompanying interactive CD-ROM includes powerpoints, spreadsheets, Geogebra files, audio-visual explanations and extra questions.
- The text has been written from an international perspective and embraces other cultures as well as providing links to the Theory of Knowledge and plenty of ideas for the internally assessed project
Table of Contents:
Topic 1 Introduction to the graphic display calculator
Topic 2 Number and Algebra
Topic 3 Sets, logic and probability
Topic 4 Functions
Topic 5 Geometry and trigonometry
Topic 6 Statistics
Topic 7 Introductory differential calculus
Topic 8 Financial mathematics
Return to main page of Trans-Atlantic Publications