Psychology: The Science of Mind & Behaviour
5th edition. Contains CD-ROM
By Richard Gross
Distributed By Trans-Atlantic Publications
1007 pages, Illustrated, 8 ¼ x 10 3/4"
$87.50 paper original
Psychology: The Science of Mind and Behaviour has been described as the ‘trailblazer in the psychology textbook revolution’ and ‘the psychology student’s “bible”’. It has established itself as the benchmark introductory psychology textbook.
Its 50 chapters cover every conceivable topic – from substance abuse to health psychology, from criminological psychology to moral development. This fifth edition has been fully revised to incorporate significant recent research findings and provides a comprehensive resource for readers at all levels.
Now in full colour and generously illustrated to bring the text to life, this new edition is more reader-friendly than ever and features:
· a concise introduction and overview for each chapter
· full chapter summaries to aid revision and consolidate learning
· interactive questions to stimulate discussion and promote understanding.
A brand new CD-Rom in the back of the book supplies fantastic extra resources for every chapter, including:
· drag-and-drop exercises
· self-assessment questions
· sample essay answers
· downloadable schemas
· useful websites and further reading linking to every chapter.
Psychology: The Science of Mind and Behaviour 5th edition is the definitive introduction to psychology. Essential reading for all psychology students and those following a wide range of courses – including health, nursing and social work – as well as the interested general reader.
- Includes a CD-Rom with drag-and-drop exercises, self-assessment questions, sample essay answers, downloadable schemas, further reading and websites
- Classic textbook – now highly illustrated in full colour, excellent all-rounder, ideal for students and the general interested reader
- Richard Gross is a best-selling author, respected by teachers and booksellers alike
- Each set of self-assessment questions on the CD includes one full sample essay answer written by Geoff Rolls – that’s 50 sample essays in total – ideal for revising and consolidating reading
- The schemas on the CD are very popular with students and are ideal for revision purposes, especially for essay plans, etc.
- Teachers can download the schemas and print them onto acetates for fantastic full-colour OHPs
Table of Contents:
Preface Acknowledgements The Nature and Scope of Psychology What is this thing called psychology? Theoretical approaches to psychology Psychology as a science The Biological Basis of Behaviour and Experience The nervous system Sensory processes Parapsychology States of consciousness and bodily rhythms Substance dependence and abuse Motivation Emotion Learning and conditioning Application: health psychology Cognitive Psychology Attention and performance Pattern recognition Perception: processes and theories The development of perceptual abilities Memory and forgetting Language, thought and culture Language acquisition Problem-solving, decision-making and artificial intelligence Application: cognition and the law Social Psychology Social perception Attribution Attitudes and attitude change Prejudice and discrimination Conformity and group influence Obedience Interpersonal relationships Aggression and antisocial behaviour Altruism and prosocial behaviour Application: the social psychology of sport Developmental Psychology Early experience and social development Development of the self-concept Cognitive development Moral development Gender development Adolescence Adulthood Old age Application: exceptional development Individual Differences Intelligence Personality Psychological abnormality: definitions and classification Psychopathology Treatments and therapies Application: criminological psychology Issues and Debates Bias in psychological theory and research Ethical issues in psychology Free will and determinism, and reductionism Nature and nurture References Index
About the Author(s):
Richard Gross is the author of Essential A2 Psychology for AQA(A) and Essential AS Psychology for AQA(A), and numerous other bestselling psychology textbooks published by Hodder & Stoughton.
Return to main page of Trans-Atlantic Publications