Perspectives on Play
A Learning for Life
By Avril Brock
Distrubuted by Trans-Atlantic Publications Inc.
$57.50 Paper Original
This book examines current research and theoretical knowledge with regards to play as a medium of learning. It presents a review and critical analysis of research in the field whilst exploring development in the early childhood years from a broad range of multi-disciplinary perspectives. Brock's approach will offer a dynamic perspective on the practice of play that will rival existing texts currently on the market, it will be a valuable asset for any student studying for an Early Childhood, Childhood, or Education Studies degree.
- The Value of Play
- What is Play?
- Babies and Toddlers Playing
- A Pedagogy of Play
- Playing in the Foundation Stage
- Primary Children at Play in the Classroom
- Rough & Tumble Play in the Early Years of Primary School
- Play for Children with Special Educational Needs
- The Art Therapies and Play
- Concluding Perspectives
- The text is organised into three sections: 'What is Play?' examines historical, contemporary and socio-cultural issues. 'Children at Play' presents a continuum of play from babyhood through to primary age, and 'Supporting Children’s Play' looks at SEN, play therapy and playwork.
- Each chapter contains pedagogical features that are illustrated through a range of observations, photographs, interviews and discussions with participants.
- A detailed discussion about research outcomes is provided to present findings and provide the opportunity for students to challenge research and to assess how methodological problems can be overcome
- 'Ideas in action' explores how theories can be translated in the real-world and 'Improving Practice and'Next Steps' discuss how to overcome challenges to ensure that these ideas are effective; ultimately these two featurues are focussed upon improving the content of practice itself.
- 'Summary and Review' presents an overview of the issues, ideas and concerns that have been raised throughout the chapter and pinpoints the most crucial developments in that particular field
Return to main page of Trans-Atlantic Publications